As the owner and sole designer at Wydian Kitchens & Design I am proud and feel fortunate for all of the projects and the people I was able to work with, many of whom I was happy to call friends for years after their projects were finished.
I basically started my career as a “designer” at the ripe old age of 9 when I was fascinated with my dad working at his drafting table designing machines as a mechanical engineer. I loved watching him design things that eventually turned into an actual tangible thing that produced materials used on homes. I was always more artistically inclined and always loved interiors as well as exteriors of homes so my path and passion went more towards architecture and interior design.
As a kid I found myself re arranging my parents furniture as well as my room and always thinking of ways to make their home more beautiful. That turned into my passion for constantly designing homes and interior (always on the ocean with palm trees in the back yard…I think that came from spending many summers at my aunts home in Florida) I still have those drawings today.
After graduating from The Fashion Institute of Technology with a degree in Interior Design, I began my professional career at The Imaginative Design Center in Bernardsville, NJ working with custom tile, stone, hardware, plumbing fixtures and kitchens which gave me a strong background in those areas which serve me well today with a good overall understanding of those materials and all the intricacies they inherently have. I also worked at Brooks Custom Cabinetry where I really honed my skills designing kitchens. Brooks also had it’s own manufacturing factory on site which was a great learning experience how cabinets were actually constructed and how to specify detailed drawings to make sure what I was designing could actually be physically constructed. It also taught me the importance of being at the job site when the cabinets were delivered as well as learning from the professional installers how to properly install fine cabinetry.
In 1996 I started my own company called Stonehouse Designs specializing in kitchen design and space planning. I enjoyed the next 5 years working on projects around the New Jersey area as well as Rhode Island and South Carolina.
In 2001, I found myself pregnant with twins and had to close my business to happily raise them as well as another son who came shortly afterwards but still worked many freelance projects through the many architects, builders and my cabinet company Christiana Cabinetry working on projects around the country in South Carolina, Florida, Kentucky, Chicago, Palm Springs as well as in Bermuda. In 2006 I was fortunate enough to exclusively design the Enkeboll Moulding booth at the Las Vegas Kitchen and Bath show which showcased 4 different styles which included many new exclusive new moldings, corbels and turned legs that they were bringing to market. I along with Christiana Cabinetry were planning an exclusive Gothic inspired showroom in the Merchandise Mart in Chicago but the market crash of 2008 unfortunately abruptly ended that project.
Also during that period the house that my husband and I had bought that was built in 1911, completely renovated the entire home which we saved from demolition by the builder who bought it and put a development around us which gave us wonderful instant neighbors. Renovating an old home was a great eduction in better understanding construction and how to better deal with unforeseen issues and what to expect from an older home.
Once my children were old enough, I was excited to open Wydian Kitchens and Design in 2011 and have had a wonderful opportunity to work with more wonderful clients, architects and builders designing and space planning their kitchens, bathrooms, custom closets, bars, entertainment areas, laundry and mud rooms and any other spaces that need cabinetry.
I now have 27 years of experience doing what I love and still find each project as exciting today as when I began because each project is as individualized as each client I work with which always has the promise of a unique outcome that my clients will live in and love for many years.
At Wydian Kitchens & Design, your perfect kitchen is just around the corner. We offer fine cabinetry and expert custom installation and we provide our clients with all the products, services, and expertise they require to complete their custom kitchen. Whether a simple remodel, full renovation, or new construction, We are ready to help you build the kitchen of your dreams.
The process begins with a close collaboration between you and Wydian Kitchens & Design creating a customized individual kitchen that is as much a statement of your tastes along with professional advice, design and management. We work side by side with architects and interior designers and builders to achieve the results of a beautiful kitchen that will dramatically enhance your lifestyle.
First complimentary consultation includes:
- Meeting at your home or job site, architects or interior designers office
- Measuring and reviewing the space to be designed or obtaining a copy of the architectural plans.
- Discuss concepts, budgets and steps for moving forward
- Shortly after meeting a preliminary budget will be comprised based on our discussions to achieve a realistic cost expectation before your project commences. Budget will cover cabinetry, installation, countertops, and other items discussed in the initial meeting.
Second consultation includes:
- Review preliminary budgets
- Review first rough plan layouts
- Discussing any necessary revisions.
Moving forward includes:
- Executing a Design Agreement with deposit of $4,500.00 (non refundable) for designing CAD plans and renderings. (to be furnished to client).
- Design Deposit of $1,500.00 (non refundable) for designing CAD plans and renderings (includes everything above but does not authorize Wydian to furnish plans and renderings to client).
- Design deposits go toward purchase of cabinetry
- Select materials for approval. Door styles and finishes, countertops, hardware, fixtures, appliances, lighting.. etc.
- Final plans are not released without a 50% deposit and executed contract upon ordering cabinets.
Final Stage includes:
- Executing contract for ordering of all materials as outlined in final meeting.
- Placement of cabinet order with a 50% total deposit. 50% will be credited from the initial design deposit of $4,500.00 or $1,500.00.
- Final sign off of plans, styles and finish
- Plans will be released to client (5 sets)
After Installation: A final walk through by Wydian Kitchens to determine if any final punch list items need to be addressed. Once punch list items are resolved final payment will be due.
- Meetings with clients Architect/ Interior Designer/ Included:Contractor/Builder
- Selections for countertops, backsplash, lighting, appliances, fixtures, flooring, hardware etc.
- Approving cabinets when they are delivered
- Scheduling and overseeing the installation with Wydian’s installers
- Overseeing installation with clients installers will incur an additional hourly fee of $95.00 hr. Wydian will not be responsible for clients installers/installation.
- Overseeing templating and installation with Wydian’s stone fabricators.
- If Wydian installs cabinets using Wydian installers then an ST8 tax exempt form must be signed by homeowner. A 6.88 % NJ tax will be added if any other installer is selected.
Pricing does not include appliance installation but does include installation of all selected panels as ordered by Wydian. If client would like Wydian to install appliances then an additional quote will be established depending on specific appliances ordered.
An approximate lead time will be confirmed upon execution of signed contract and deposit. Lead times commence at sign off of contract and deposit.
Standard lead times for Christiana Cabinetry is approximately 8 -10 weeks after sign off.
Standard lead times for Mountaineer Woodcraft is approximately 8 – 10 weeks after sign off.
Standard lead times for Proline is approximately 2 – 3 weeks after sign off.
Lead times may vary depending on the level of detail, finish and custom work.
Lead times may also vary at manufacturers discretion usually due to an influx of orders. Wydian will confirm current lead times before order is placed.